Thursday, June 21, 2007

Two days of extremes. Just when everything was looking like it was going well, if slowly, the latest inept and ill-considered action by the Vice Dean came crashing in. He was supposed to send a letter to VSO confirming my extension until the end of the 1st semester of next year (January 08), which I received a copy of on Wednesday. Given our recent clashes and misunderstandings, he just had to try and have the last word in this letter. As well as confirming my extension, he described how I had accepted that the recent misunderstandings were all my fault and that I had accepted this. His final sentence implied that the next volunteer (starting in Feb 08) should have more experience of the cluster programme ie I am lacking sufficient experience. Fuck off! I was furious. He who couldn’t organize a piss-up in a brewery casting judgment on me. His inability to listen and empathise is breathtaking. The sheer childishness of his letter is sad. If I actually had to work with this guy on a daily basis I’d quit. The understanding barrier between us would be insurmountable. Fortunately I don’t work with him. More importantly I’m not here being a volunteer for him, but for my two colleagues and Gondar teachers & children. I feel as committed as ever to helping the unit to develop next year and I’ll put up with him in order to work with Meleshew and Mulugeta. Leaving now would leave them in the lurch.

Today, Thursday, has been much much better. I’ve been able to put the Vice Dean’s attitude into perspective and keep hold of what is actually important: supporting my colleagues. Tempting as it is to storm off from Gondar in a justifiable huff my colleagues would suffer. I spent more time today working with Meleshew on her CPD plan. I also introduced Mulugeta to using Word and other basic computer skills. Both of them are so obviously delighted when I work with them individually to learn something new. In an education system where many children are lectured to in classes of 100 or more, to have some individual attention from someone willing to teach them is a real privilege. Their delight and enthusiasm really lifts me up spiritually.