Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Meleshew


Mulugeta


Looks like we might not be doing much more training with Walya school in the near future. During a chat with the Vice Dean yesterday, he explained that the college has officially told the school that it will not be supported. Last year Walya School refused to accept college students doing their “practicum” i.e. teaching practice. As a result the college decided that if the school will not support the work of the college, by accepting its students, then the college will not support the school. The school can get away with refusing practicum students because it is privately owned, but that refusal might now prevent us from doing any more work with it. I feel sad about that, as they have been very pro-active in seeking our support, but I do also see the college’s point of view.

Gill went to Addis Ababa yesterday afternoon to do some work in the Ministry of Education on the Higher Diploma Programme. This work might build into even more consulting-type work for her which will fill the gaps in her placement in college. So, I am alone until Saturday and have another opportunity to experience and reflect on what that feels like. Of course I miss her. However, it’s also good to experience some space to myself. Perhaps I rely too much on having somebody else I know at college instead of building more bridges with college staff.

This afternoon I observed a science teacher at Rekebnaha School, another one of Gondar’s private schools. I’m always struck by the difference in quality and amount of resources, general condition of the compound, and “feel” of the private schools. Why can’t state schools be like that?

We have another new VSO volunteer: Debbie, from Canada, arrived yesterday. She will replace Jordan, who goes home on Saturday having completed his three month short-term placement, as an IT person. Debbie, who spent the last six months in Awassa, is herself is a short-term volunteer and will leave in September.

To keep me occupied in the slack moments, I’ve been assembling a Cluster Co-ordinating Unit (CCU) notice-board. The idea is to raise the profile of the unit in the college and to inform the college students (and the staff) who we are and what we do. I like the creative part of it and I had some fun today getting mugshots of Meleshew and Mulugeta, my colleagues. Soon everyone in the college will not only know who Meleshew and Mulugeta are, but also who the hell that Ferenji is who walks fast around the campus.