Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It’s getting awfully hot in the afternoons (have I mentioned that before?!). There’s more cloud than usual and, as well as being hotter, the humidity seems higher. This is the “hot” spell until the short rains start in April.

I submitted my final grades for my students to the college this morning. The grades of course are a joke (almost all of the students got a ‘C’) and I do feel sorry for the one student (out of 162) who failed: many more should have joined her if any reasonable standards had been applied. The good part is that I no longer have to prostitute myself to a crap system, and I can try and push some recommendations for change towards whoever in the college might be open to suggestions for improvement.

Both Gill and I are very tired at the moment. We’ve both been speculating if we are ill with something, or maybe we need a break. The last decent break we had was when we went trekking in Bale Mountains back in September. In between there was the three day VSO conference, but we have had no holiday days off for over five months and it’s difficult to see us getting any time off in the next month or two. It’s not that we are constantly working at 100% like I used to at school in the UK, it’s that daily life can be so draining precisely because it’s so difficult getting anything done. I had to visit the Post Office in town this afternoon, and I unashamedly used the opportunity to sit in a café with a juice and book. I do feel a bit wrung dry. Like I have been giving, and dealing with, an awful lot without putting anything back in.