Monday, February 19, 2007

Another sweaty day. The heat is building up in the afternoons and I seem to be doing more running around the college trying to find people. I’ve had to accept that to get anything done requires persistence and lots of chasing people to get them to do things. It’s not that people don’t want anything to happen, it’s just that nobody seems to be too affected if things don’t happen. I returned the end-of-semester exam marks to my students this morning, which was a lot less traumatic than when I went through the mid-semester exam with them. This time I marked their papers in such a way as to almost eliminate the possibility of cheating when I returned the papers. I also managed to sit and have a bit of a post mortem with my colleagues, Meleshew and Mulugeta, about how we all prepared for the Maths training done on Friday and Saturday. A lot of the tension has gone and I think, although I’m far from convinced, that they are now more onboard with our training model and how we are using the training room.

Norma, the new ELIP VSO vol, is having a hard time with delays to her being able to move into her house. I have a lot of sympathy. Living in hotels for over two weeks certainly pushed my tolerance when I arrived here.

Despite the hassle and stress of the last week at work, I have also enjoyed the buzz. I feel a confidence at work and socially, which contrasts to how I felt often when I started in teaching.