Thursday, December 07, 2006

I’m convinced there isn’t a true need for many VSO volunteer placements here. The real need is with developing leadership and management. I find time and time again that a lot of problems are caused by mangers not implementing proper line management and making sure that people are doing what they are supposed to be doing. There’s also a chronic lack of forward thinking. For example, the college seems to be a bit of a graveyard for photocopiers. A new copier is bought and eventually of course breaks down. Only then does the idea of support and maintenance feature on anyones radar. Maintenance of course might be hard to come by, so eventually the college buys a new copier. It’s extraordinary that the college has way more photocopiers than any secondary school in the UK has!

While I’m griping, PC maintenance continually winds me up. The PC support person is never around, as he seems to hang out in cafes in town until he is summoned. What about making sure he is doing useful stuff around the college instead of waiting to be called to a problem? Again, lack of proper line management.

On a brighter note, I taught my first lesson in the college today. I’ve asked to teach some physics, partly for me and partly to give me a better insight into life as a teacher here. I’m teaching three classes of maths students, who also have to study physics and chemistry, who are on the three year Diploma course, which will qualify them to become 2nd cycle primary teachers (Grades 5 – 8). Each class has 50 students and I get them for one double lesson (100 mins) per week. The plan is for me to teach the Electomagnetism & Electronics course, which has content at UK A-level and 1st year physics degree level. I have nine weeks to cover a ridiculous amount of content before the end of the semester. I loved the stimulation of working with the students and I’m looking forward to getting to grips with covering a lot of stuff without having any books for the students to use.

Another plus: in the college library I found a Geophysics textbook I used at home during my MSc course. Choosing to spend some of my evening reading an academic textbook for pleasure is not a common experience for me at home, but here I’ve loved it! Reading it has re-kindled as well the real interest I had for earth science. The Head of Science at the college has asked for help with teaching part of the Applied Physics degree course at Gondar University. Maybe I’ll get to teach some geophysics?