Sunday, March 05, 2006

So far...

Boredom, anxiety and frustration are the themes of the previous week or so. Every day is a learning experience about being a volunteer in a developing country. Last Monday I visited Awassa College and met the Dean (who I had spent time with at a VSO workshop in Addis the week before) only to discover that he was no longer the Dean, having been replaced that morning by the Vice Dean. The Vice Dean is what is described by all as a “political” appointee i.e. selected by the government. The now-previous Dean introduced me to one of the Ethiopian Higher Diploma Leaders (HDL) I was supposed to be working with. Once the Ethiopian HDL got over his surprise (he didn’t know anything about me) he showed me round the college and then told me the two Higher Diploma groups had been merged into one. Given there is already a Western volunteer from an American organisation called IFESH working as a HDL, and two Ethiopian HDLs, it was immediately obvious I would not be needed. Finally in the afternoon I got to meet the new Dean. He had spent the previous three months in Addis (getting up to date with “government policies”) and had drawn up the original request for a VSO vol back in the summer. Somewhere along the way, the college circumstances changed and they didn’t update VSO (although I’m not convinced that VSO are blameless). After consulting with VSO I was told to be patient until the education team can sort it out.

So, the rest of the week was spent sitting around, going to cafés to drink mango juice and coffee and generally trying to relax while feeling anxious and fed up. To rub salt into the wound, Gill’s college are fantastic, have included me in their induction tours & visits and generally made me feel very welcome.

The cavalry from VSO arrived on Monday (in the form of Sewit, my programme manager). She got the Dean to write a new requirement for me, which is a complete non-starter. So, while the organisational wheels turn agonisingly slowly I have spent this week walking, sitting in cafes and developing my patience. I await developments with an ever philosophical attitude.

On the plus side, I’ve had lots of time to explore Awassa. One of the other VSOs showed us a walk up a local hill with panoramic views of the town. It’s also cool and breezy up there and forms the best opportunity for exercise so far. Every morning I climb the hill and sit and contemplate the view. Awassa is amazing to look at. It is much bigger than it feels (approx 90,000 people) and most of it looks like a sprawling village. I’m also getting used to the heat. The first week of afternoons was hell, made worse by food poisoning. Erupting from various orifices while also burning up was a truly character-testing experience (Ian, I know you’re laughing). This week has been better. Even the hassle from locals is not quite as intimidating as it was. Imagine being stared at by nearly everyone you pass from the moment you leave your house. A lot of them shout “you!” or “Ferenji” to get your attention. Most of them just smile and talk when you acknowledge them but some of the kids walk with you hassling for money. Although it’s just driven by curiosity and novelty I can find it hard to keep a sense of humour. Getting annoyed makes it worse so you either acknowledge them or ignore it. Sometimes it’s a laugh. Occasionally it’s charming. Most of the time I crave anonymity.

I’ve spent most of the afternoons at Gill’s college looking at Higher Diploma stuff and reading their physics textbooks. I need the stimulation and it is actually very interesting reading another country’s home-grown textbooks (really, honest). Some of their physics textbooks have clearer explanations and are more concise than a lot of our books at home. Some of the physics studied in Ethiopian Grade 10 (17/18 years old) is of a higher level than what our Year 12 & 13 do at home. I suspect the teaching here is not as good, which I want to see for myself this week.

So, another hard-working week approaches in a land of constant heat and sunshine. I’ll visit a school, try and hang out with a Czech NGO who work with teachers and see what they do, and drink mango juice. Could be worse, I could be back in Hertfordshire.